Monday

Complimenting Colours










Here are the two photographs in the state of before and after, I created by altering the colours to pairs of complimentary colours. As I researched the definition of complimentary colours I found many websites showing a visual example of the colour spectrum. I found that complimentary colours were to be found opposite to each other on the colour wheel.

The first image I chose to use was an image of the bandstand in the Arboretum in Nottingham. I decided to take a photograph of the band stand because it involved I strong green colour and was surrounded by blur railings. I found that the colours blue and yellow were complimentary to each other because they are opposite to each other on the colour spectrum. Therefore I edited the green colour of the bandstand to a strong yellow, and highlighted some of the weaker blue colours on the railings and to some parts of the band stand. I really like the effect that the yellow creates when added to the blue of the railings, the yellow lightens up the image to give a sense of a warmer atmosphere and a more exciting mood.

The second image I used was a photograph that I took of a large house located just outside of the Arboretum. I found out that the colours green and red were complimentary to one another, and therefore decided to change the sky from the light blue colour to a light red, simply because this was more realistic than a green sky. I then decided that a nice effect would be to create the roof into a green colour to give a moss style effect, this turned out ok but I didn’t feel that the image had enough of the colours to compliment each other. I decided to add the effect of a warm glow to the windows to give an eerie effect to the house, I also added the red effect to the street lamps to add a scare factor. I like the effect and mood that the new image gives off but I don’t feel that this looks as professional as the image of the bandstand, simply because I airbrushed in the glow from the windows. This often looked slightly messy and also a bit rushed.

No comments: