Thursday

Personal Identity

I have begun to start thinking about Personal Identity for my up and coming Identities Project, before i started thinking about the statement in detail i looked up the meaning, this is how Wikipedia described it:

"personal identity refers to the essence of a self-conscious person, that which makes him or her unique. It persists: though a person may change in socially important aspects, such as religious belief, these modifications happen through one single identity."
Wikipedia the goes on to describe:
"The question regarding personal identity has addressed the conditions under which a person at one time is the same person at another time, known as personal continuity. This sort of analysis of personal identity provides a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for the identity of the person over time. In the modern philosphy of mind, this concept of personal identity is sometimes referred to as the diachronic problem of personal identity. The synchronic problem is grounded in the question of what features or traits characterize a given person at one time."

I would find it very difficult to describe my personal identity without a great deal of thought. The aspects of me which makes me unnique from every other human being would be my looks, as in my features and my personality. However i do not feel that i am unique through the way that i dress or my interests because there are many other people in the world who will dress in the same clothes as me and have the same taste in music as me etc.

No comments: