Tuesday

Non Web Design Practitioner 1

The first non web design practitioner that I would like to talk about is the film director Stanley Kubrick. Born in New York City in 1928 he spent most of his later career living in England, Kubrick was a writer, producer, director and photographer of films. He is famous for his innovative and influential filmmakers of all time; some of his films have been known to be very controversial to the public eye. Some of Kubrick’s most famous pieces have been Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and 2001 a Space Odyssey. However I would like to concentrate on one of his most famous and controversial films, A Clockwork Orange.

I studied the novel during A-Level in English Literature during my time at school, therefore know it very well having completed coursework on the novel. The Novel was created by Anthony Burgess; the novel is famous for its nadsat language throughout the story. This is the language the gang use between each other e.g. Krovvy means blood and Droog means Friend.

However focusing on the theatrical version I was first introduced to the Film by a friend and found it very odd because I was quite young and didn’t really understand the meaning behind it. However watching it in 6th form during an English Lit lesson I realised just how good the film really was.

The soundtrack is based around classical music and is fantastically linked in with each scene to show different moods and atmospheres. The motion picture features disturbingly violent images of attack and rape based in a futuristic British society.

The lighting is uniquely used the set the atmosphere, especially in one scene inside a milk bar, I also have to mention the props used to create a futuristic setting.

The innovative ideas used in A Clockwork Orange could be very useful to me in the world of web design. The music used in the film and the way it is could help me set a certain mood or atmosphere on a web design project for the future. Kubrick’s use of scenery could also help me for my graphical work or setting for the websites I create in the future.

No comments: